Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanks Mr President

United States President, Barack Obama, is in Cambodia this week.  I thought that was cool, but even cooler (sorry Mr President) is that almost everybody in Cambodia gets at least part of this week off of school.  Why? Because the US President is here and they want to keep him safe, so they need to lessen passing traffic.

Today I went over to cicfo early.  It was great.

I got to work with Kanah on the piano, but she wanted to start working on the penny-whistle.  I have a little penny-whistle that I used to play when McKae was here.  She would lead the songs and I'd play along for pitch.  That was the seed that sprouted in the incessant requests for My Heart Will Go On.  I know all of the lyrics now and could probably play it in my sleep, the girls love it.  The penny-whistle is tricky for a few reasons and Kanah and I have never had a chunk of time to sit and actually work on it until today.

I got to write with group 2.  Yesterday we wrote about Sister King.  She was a missionary here that they became really close to; I've heard a lot about her.  It was good for us to discuss why she was special to them, what she looked like, and what she did.  After we talked about it for a while the kids were willing to write a lot more.  Today's prompt was not as well developed, but I'm learning.  I went over what they wrote when I got home this evening and we'll talk about ways to improve their sentences tomorrow.

We practiced our Christmas Song for the big Christmas concert in December.  Elder and Sister James, another senior missionary couple, came to CICFO last week to teach us the song Christmas Bells.  There is going to be a concert for all of Phnom Penh and the kids are going to sing this song in it.  They're learning to play the pipe chimes with it, but first I'm making sure they know all of the words.  It's too bad I won't be here to see it.

I worked on writing with group 1.  I brought them my storyboard last week and had them tell me the story of The 3 Little Pigs.  They've seen the old Disney short about it and asked if I knew the 'Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf' song.  This week we are writing the story down.  I seems to be helping us with possession and sentence structure; getting rid of the 'he' when we write 'The wolf he asked the pig to let him in.'

And that is not all-  we even watched Finding Nemo.  Sweet!


Totally.

No comments: