Monday, October 8, 2012

tell me about...

For the past few lessons, McKae and I have been working with the teenagers on description.
"Tell me about you."
"Tell me about a place."
"Tell me..." everything.

We're still without the curriculum, but we do have an unusual window into the exercises used by the EIL(English as an International Language) classes through BYU- Hawaii Online.  We have 3 students currently enrolled in EIL classes.  I've been assisting them in catching up with their coursework since we got a late start on the semester.  It's been very insightful.  Online education is definitely growing and it is opening doors that had been closed for so many individuals, but it is a very new thing for Cambodia.  Things that are very clear to me seem very abstract to some of our students here. 

To begin writing, we gave the students question words:  who, what, when, where, why, how.
They chose a topic and we asked them to write down two questions for each question word.
All of the students chose to write about CICFO, so their questions consisted of, "Who is my best friend at CICFO?" "What is CICFO?" "What do I learn there?"
You are able to write more about any topic if you can ask yourself questions about it.
After writing down questions, and talking with us about it, we had the students write as much as they could for 10 minutes.
The kids are in the process of typing up what they wrote, and we're helping them edit, after which we will post their stories.  You need to know how amazing these kids are, what better way than for them to tell you.  

No comments: