Sunday, February 17, 2013

Clear instructions

It took a lot of time for me to find a way to give clear instructions.  Things I thought were clear soon appeared to be the opposite.

Corbin ran into the same thing with his folded-book project.

 "Today I had planned to help translate group2's Khmer story books into English; however I hadn't been clear with my instructions! Yes they did what I told them to, write a story in Khmer for all 6 pages of the book. But each page had like 8-10 sentences written on it! I thought "ok, we can still do this" but then as I started with the first student I realized that he had no idea what the English words were for the Khmer ones. I'm having them redo the assignment now; shorter stories and look up English words in a dictionary so that when they come back next week I can help them write the sentences correctly in English."

"When they came and I looked at their books "oh my goodness!" and they all laughed.Yeah I had set up the computers with the online dictionary but for some reason the Khmer keyboard wasn't working on any of them (because they don't know how to spell the Khmer words with English letters). I'll have it set up right for this week with the shortened versions of their stories."

No comments: