Sunday, February 3, 2013

Group 2, attempt 2

Group two is our mid-teenager group, ages about 14-16.  They meet with Corbin twice a week, on Saturday and Sunday, because their school schedules are all very different it's hard to make a time when they can all have a class.  It's hard to keep their attention in a class because they're so busy with their other schooling.

"Today with group 2 went a lot better than the previous weeks. Not only did they pay more attention to me, but I was able to incorporate a lot of speaking practice with them today as we played several different speaking games. I was not as nervous as usual so hopefully tomorrow goes the same for me!"

"I started with two primary songs, after which I drew a body on the board and had the kids tell me the body parts and how to spell them."
We divided teams, which is always hard in a group like this. 
 "With the teams divided I had them write down sentences about what they can do with their body parts. When I was finally able to get them to write a few sentences down I told them they were going to act out their sentences (simple ones like "I can hear with my ears.") and everyone said they understood but no one did anything so I had to have Vichet explain to them in Khmer because he seems to be the only one in class who actually means it when he says that he understands."

 Corbin is a TESOL major, this experience working with different age groups has been really beneficial in giving him more of a direction for the people that he would like to work with later in his career.  

"My [former] classmates and they seem to think I'm on the right track with group 2: just having a looot of activities to keep their attention and teach them indirectly since their English skills are all over the place and it's too hard to control them for 2 hours. "

No comments: